Revolutionary War veteran William “Fighting Billy” Tipton became the first of the Tipton clan to acquire land in the Smoky Mountains, taking advantage of Tennessee’s land grant program in the 1820s. Colonel Hamp Tipton, a veteran of the Civil War, built the two-story cabin which still stands in Cades Cove in the early 1870s.
His daughters, Lucy and Lizzie, were schoolmarms in Cades Cove in the second half of the 1800’s. The Smoky Mountain homestead Tipton built, eventually included a smokehouse, a woodshed, corn crib, blacksmith shop, cantilever barn, and an apiary for bees. Tipton sold land to and hence was surrounded by many of his family and friends. A few of those include Joshua Job, Jacob and Isaac Tipton, Thomas Jones.
In 1878, their house was rented to James McCaulley, who was trying to settle in the cove. McCaulley was a welcome newcommer to Cades Cove as he was a blacksmith. In time, McCaulley built his own home along with top quality blacksmith and carpentry shops. McCaulley was a trusted blacksmith, carpenter and coffin maker, working in Cades Cove for a quarter of a century.
Across the road from the Tipton house is a Cantilever barn, once a common site in the Smokies. It is a replica of the barn which was there in the 1800’s. Note the two pen design and its huge eaves. This design allowed overhang protection for outside animals and equipment, and provided complete shelter for stalled animals, and an isle between the pens large enough to accommodate a wagon.