Built in 1930 by Carson Rose, the local Gulf distributor at that time on what was then US 25E, a major North South highway of the Eastern United States. 25E started as the Dixie Highway, one of the first federal highway systems. Over the twenty-six years of operation, this station had four different operators. The station was closed in 1956, when US25E was relocated to the rear of the building and was rented as living quarters until 1968. From 1968 until 2001 the building was not maintained and suffered major deterioration with the center of the roof and ceiling falling down. In January of 2001 the Town of Tazewell became the owners of the property and immediately began the effort to save and repair the building. Over seven tons of debris was removed from the premises before the repairs could be made.
W. Carson Rose was a well-known Claiborne county man, political leader, and member of the prominent Rose family in the county. He was a member of the Claiborne county school board and the county election commission. He died at his home in Tazewell at the age of 35. Mr. Rose had undergone an operation for appendicitis, and complications finally resulted in his death.
The station was featured in the film “Thunder Road,” released in 1958 featuring Robert Mitchum. A veteran comes home from the Korean War to the mountains and takes over the family moonshining business. He has to battle big-city gangsters who are trying to take over the business and the police who are trying to put him in prison.
Located on Main Street in Tazewell, TN. Open weekdays.